Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Welcome to the club - Part III

I know it's been a while between this and my last post but I wasn't quite ready to finish it off. I guess I have been coming to a conclusion throughout this process. This is what I have decided. Though I do not endorse the restrictions deemed necessary by the club it comes down to a matter of priorities. What is most important to me? Is the forfeiture of certain privelages worth the increased purchase into the system? The answer, for me and at this time, is yes.

Truthfully, the answer has always been yes, in principle. I just wasn't sure if this was the time to make the commitment. There is always uncertainty involved in making decisions like this one but I am willing to make the trade off.

The only thing that bothers me is whether or not my acquiescence on this point constitutes a perceived endorsement of this philosophy. While I am willing to make the required lifestyle commitments am I willing to recommend them to others? This I am uncertain about. I feel that, for the most part, my membership to the club will be perceived as an endorsement of the philosophy. I don't see how it could otherwise. It is part and parcel to the membership. A member is a member because they identify with the club and its principles. While there is always deviation in some respect the principles are considered to be endorsed on the whole. I guess I'll just have to deal with that.

I will not undermine the good and potential to do more good that the club has by purposely cutting against the grain. I will, however, follow my heart when I feel the need to keeping in mind that, even according to this club's core philosophy, there is rarely black and white but rather that we live in the gray and should respond accordingly.

So, yes, I am joining the club. I should be a full fledged, card carrying member within a couple weeks. Will the means lead to the much hoped for end? Only time will tell.

5 comments:

Matt Carson said...

ok so you are going to be a mason, congrats.

you know that part where you talk about how your membership implies your endorsing of the philosophy? not necessarily my friend; just tell people you are a mole, a spy, or a revolutionary.

I also have a request: in Part IV, can you talk about exactly WHY you want to be a member? are you thinking of joining the staff or are you just interested in voting privileges? i'm a pseudo-member of the club as you know... jim uses the analogy of hitting a home run but never stepping on home plate, haha. i guess i'm just curious if i should make a similar commitment...

smoore said...

why do you have to be so drama about everything. Suck it up and shut up. Ok maybe a little harsh but if only you had done this two years ago, like i told you too, none of us would have to listen to your ramblings. You could analyze yourself to death if I didn't keep you accountable. Later bro. ps email is scott.moore@firstwesleyan.com
now stay in touch like you said you would.

Jim said...

welcome , i will show you the secret hand shake sometime, if you know what i mean. I guess means that it's go time. let's rock and roll.

Matt Carson said...

so i guess my next question would be, when are you leaving the club? do you think they will miss you? i really, really think they will.

Sandy said...

I'm extremely interested to see what you have to say next. Peace brother...