Friday, June 1, 2007

Eat my shorts.


That's me running in the 2007 Buffalo Marathon that took place last Sunday. It's a beautiful view of my toned and trained body. If you look real closely you can see the people I'm passing staring at my prowess in awe while questioning their very existence. Well, at least that's what it looked like to me.

Truth be told, I only ran the first leg of a relay, 6.2 miles. I was pleased with the outcome. I was able to keep about an 8 minute mile pace. My friends Jim, Matt, and Sean ran the other legs. They all did very well in my opinion. Combined, we finished the marathon in 3:39:00 approximately. The winner of the marathon finished in 2:17:00, all by himself. Nasty. Just when I was feeling good about my accomplishment I realize how much of an amateur I really am. Oh well.

I had the privilege of lining up at the starting line for the start of the race. It was a cool experience being surrounded by all the other runners. You could really feel the energy and the anticipation. A lot of training and preparation all culminating at this moment. One guy standing to my left was barefoot. He ran the entire 26.2 miles throughout the city of Buffalo without any shoes on. My friends call me Janet, Miss Jackson if you nasty.

One lady who was lined up in front of me had pen all over her arms. She must have written some motivational messages to herself to reflect on throughout the race. One that I was able to read was "Breathe out negative, Breath in positive". That struck me as a little intense at first. Probably because she was uber serious, obviously, and that level of tenacity frightens at first blush. Most likely, what really happened was that I realized at that moment exactly what I was getting myself into. Thankfully, I only had to run 6.2 miles. Phew.

Well, I feel like I've said enough about my marathon experience. I think I'll just finish up and let you all enjoy the picture some more. Who wears short shorts?.......

6 comments:

Deidra said...

You are a funny guy. Nice job last weekend.

Jim said...

Not to complain but I think my leg was the hardest,even then sean's. Mine was uphill both ways. Triathlons here we come.

Erik said...

You should feel my legs. They are pretty hard. I've been working out.

Was that what you meant?

Matt Carson said...

did you see the pictures are online now? go to http://brightroom.com/
then look for the 2007 buffalo marathon... you have to look us up by bib number (couldn't they call it something else besides bib number?), ours was 2558.

we look really terrible. nothing like getting your picture taken when you are in complete pain. i mean come on, do they take a picture of the baby when they are circumcising him?

Sandy said...

I don't think you guys look terrible, I think you look like athletes - and that's always a good thing. But where's Jim??? Congrats guys!

Matt Carson said...

well sandy, i was wondering that myself. i only saw him give me a high five for the tag off, i didn't actually ever see him run. could he have pulled the whole i'm-going-to-get-a-breakfast-burrito-instead-of-running trick? i don't see any evidence that would convince me otherwise.