Friday, June 29, 2007

Sometimes God makes you swim.


In about 35 hours I will be plunging into the vacuous depths of Lake Erie in an attempt to begin and complete my very first triathlon. It's a sprint triathlon which means that it's shorter than your average, run-of-the-mill triathlon. The swim is 750 meters (1/2 mile), the bike is 20k (12 miles), and the run is 5k (3 miles). I have been loosely preparing for this for the better portion of 3 months.

I began by getting back into a disciplined gym routine. I would go about 4 or 5 times per week working mostly on weight training. I worked some cardiovascular activity into the mix but mostly focused on strength training. Through my workouts I was able to gain about 17 lbs. in this short period of time. I feel a lot stronger and better prepared. The past two weeks I have stayed away from the gym, however. I have spent my workouts either cycling, running, or swimming. The cycling and the running are, by far, the easy part if there is such a thing. The swimming; now that's another thing altogether.

For some reason, I had this idea in my mind that swimming would come naturally to me and that I would excel at it. Boy, was I wrong. Swimming is difficult. Now, I don't mean swimming in the way most people, myself included up to this point, swim. I'm talking about the real deal. Head in the water, even stroking, breathing every third stroke, rhythmic, full legs kicking swimming. The kind of swimming you see when you watch The Olympics. This kind of swimming is difficult to keep up for very long. This kind of swimming requires strength and stamina; two things that I have less of than I originally believed.

The first time I entered the water to practice for the upcoming event was last weekend, less than 6 days ago. I wanted to make sure that I had enough time to train properly. I rented a wetsuit from a local cycling shop for $50 because I was informed that it made the swimming easier. Also, you are supposedly more buoyant in a wetsuit and therefore less likely to encounter "trouble" out in the open water during the race. My advice on wetsuits to anyone interested is this: Don't believe the hype. Moving right along.....There I am in a wetsuit in the middle of a pond in Attica, NY at my wife's family's cottage. It took me several attempts to realize that you have to breathe out while your head is in the water in order to allow oxygen to enter your lungs when your head is out of the water every third stroke. I know, I'm not to quick on the uptake. I suppose I was so focused on the rhythm of it all that I didn't focus on the thing that is supposed to come natural to us humans; breathing. I eventually got past that obstacle only to encounter the next. As it turns out I could only swim the "proper" way for about 25 meters. After about 10 minutes of this exercise in futility I gave up for the night.

Since that fateful day last weekend I have swam three more times. The most recent outing was Wednesday night and I have to say that I did okay. I was able to swim properly for about 100 meters before tiring out. That's definitely a step in the right direction. My only regret is that I started swimming 6 days ago. If I would have started sooner I might be better equipped for this race on Sunday morning.

On a slightly related note, God has really been testing my faith lately. There have been circumstances, mostly buying our first house and anticipating the impending birth of our first child, that have been weighing heavy on my proverbial shoulders. While I am confident that God is blessing us and that our decisions are well within the scope of his will for our life there is still that element of anxiety that accompanies life's significant transitions. The sailing is not always smooth. Sometimes the waves swell and when they do we can express that tendency to wince or even flinch. It's normal.

Driving in my car this afternoon it dawned on me that my training for the triathlon and the challenges of my living are very much alike. When I am swimming or running or biking there are often times when I am physically exhausted and mentally taxed as a result. I just want to stop where I am. I just want the discomfort to cease. I keep going though because I know how good it will feel when I've completed the task strong. I keep going because I know that I have done this before and that I can go just a little bit farther. I keep going because I know that I am going to be alright and that the discomfort is temporary. I keep going because I know that it will make me stronger and more capable for the next physical challenge.

When the stuff of life seems overwhelming and my faith begins to falter I need to keep going. I need to keep going because I know that there is a better life on the other side of the situation. I need to keep going because I know that I have been through challenges before and that I can handle just a little bit more. I need to keep going because I know that the trials of this life are there to build my character and make me more capable for the next. I need to keep going because I know that sometimes God makes you swim, but he never lets you drown.

2 comments:

Deidra said...

Nice Post. We'll see you on Sunday. You will do great in your triathlon, just like you will be a great daddy. I see you with Zack and know you are going to be amazing.
Love Ya
Dee

Matt Carson said...

it's really hard to comment on your posts... they are too good and too long. stop being so clever.

so how did the tri go? let's get some pics of that sucker!